Monday, April 13, 2009

Album Review: Bromst


"a stunning achievement filled with beautifully convoluted, yet highly orchestrated sounds and textures"

As I was listening to this album today knowing that a review was imminent, I began panicking, simply because I don't know how to describe this. It's electronic music, sure. But beyond that it's open to interpretation. Here's how I would describe it: It's like the soundtrack to a film of a child's birthday party, but sped up like action scenes in old movies, and accompanied by a large array of instruments struggling to keep up with the tempo. If I've turned you off by this description, it's not my intention. The point is: this is one of those times where you listen to something and you don't know what to make of it because you haven't heard something quite like it before. When in the split second between songs you think "What the h did I just listen to?" and before you can answer, another song, equally as complex, starts to take off. After listening to the album opener "Build Voice," you should be able to tell if you will love the album or not, because the energy in it never really stops throughout the album's entirety. Standout track for me: "Snookered." This song is pretty much 8 minutes of bliss, and if someone offered me the chance to make the second half of the song my background music for the rest of my life, I might have to take it. Deacon's voice is altered and used in unconventional ways throughout the whole album, but on "Snookered" it really shines to create something magical.

There isn't really a bad song on here, so bottom line: get this album. It's headphone music, walking music, and dancing music all rolled into one giant ball of energy and fantastic chaos. It's a little rough around the edges and at times can seem a bit abrasive, but give it some time and it should sink in. It most certainly has for me.

Dan Deacon- Build Voice
iTunes / amazon
Dan Deacon MySpace

-Chandler

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bromst is absolutely fantastic.

Nate said...

well done! love these tunes