Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Recommended Reading: This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel J. Levitin

For the past three years, I have only heard good things about This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel Levitin, but it wasn't until recently that I finally got around to reading this smashing book.

I probably should have waited to write about this after I finished the book, but I am half-way through and I am loving it, so I couldn't wait! Levitin takes you through the different stages you go through in hearing, interpreting, and analyzing music. He explains how composers exploit the way our brains make sense of the world, why we emotionally attach to music we listen to as teenagers, why numerous hours of practice - not talent - makes virtuosos and how songs get stuck in our heads.

The best part about the book, is although Levitin discusses a fair about of neuroscience and music theory, he makes it accessible to everyone. I could go on and on about all the amazing things he discusses and how many times he has mind-fucked me, but I'll let you guys experience that for yourself when you pick up a copy...which you should.

Grab a copy on Amazon.

-Bishop-

No comments: